News and Resources
- Canine influenza spreading in central Pennsylvania - September 2012
- Dogs imported into Australia from USA now required to be fully vaccinated against Canine Influenza Virus (CIV) - February 14, 2011
- New Study Confirms Canine Flu Causes Lung Damage - September 8, 2010
- Canine Influenza Vaccine Found Effective Against Secondary Infections - July 8, 2010
- Dr. Ronald D. Schultz, Department of Pathobiological Sciences, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- Nobivac® Canine Flu H3N8 press release - June 9, 2010
- Announcement of NEADS Partnership
- Watch the NEADS video
- NEADS, which stands for National Education for Assistance Dog Services, trains dogs to help deaf and disabled people nationwide.
- Watch the NEADS video
- Merck Animal Health Press Release - June 23, 2009
- USDA Press Release - June 23, 2009
- AVMA updates on H1N1 in dogs
- NOTE: Nobivac® Canine Flu H3N8 only protects dogs against the H3N8 flu virus.
- Download PDF
- Canine influenza backgrounder. AVMA Website.
Available at: www.avma.org.
Published September 7, 2009. Accessed October 5, 2009.
Pet Owner Brochure
- Deshpande MS, Abdelmagid O, Tubbs A, Jayappa H, Wasmoen T. Experimental reproduction of canine influenza virus H3N8 infection in young puppies. Vet Ther. 2009;10(1-2):29-39.
- Deshpande MS, Jirjis FF, Tubbs AL, Jayappa H, Sweeney D, Spencer SJ, Lakshmanan N, Wasmoen TL. Evaluation of the efficacy of a canine influenza virus (H3N8) vaccine in dogs following experimental challenge. Vet Ther. 2009;10(3):103-112.
- Jirjis F, Deshpande M, Tubbs A, Jayappa H, Lakshmanan N, Wasmoen T. Transmission of canine influenza virus (H3N8) among susceptible dogs. Vet Microbiol. 2010;144(3-4):303-309. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2010.02.029
- Holt David E, Moyer Michael R., Cimino Brown Dorothy, Serologic prevalence of antibodies against canine influenza virus (H3N8) in dogs in a metropolitan animal shelter. JAVMA. 2010;1:71-73.
- Dubovi, EJ. Canine Influenza. Vet Clin North Am Small Animal Practice 2010;40(6):1063-1071.
- Barrell EA, Pecoraro HL, Torres-Henderson C, Morley PS, Lunn KF, Landolt GA. Seroprevalence and risk factors for canine H3N8 influenza virus exposure in household dogs in Colorado, J Vet Intern Med. 2010 Nov- Dec;24(6):1524-7.
- Rivallier P, Perry IA, Jang Y, Davis CT, Chen LM, Dubovi EJ, Donis R. Evolution of canine and equine influenza (H3N8) viruses co-circulating between 2005 and 2008. Virology. 2010;408:71-79.
- Kapil S. Canine Influenza A (H3N8) One of the Major Pathogens detected in cases of canine infectious respiratory complex in the USA (2009-2010), Poster presented at the Cell Symposia: Influenza, Washington DC, Dec 2-4, 2010
- Schultz RD, Henningson J, Sharp P, Thiel B, Larson L, Deshpande MS, Davis T, Wasmoen T, Lakshmanan N. Efficacy of Canine Influenza Virus (H3N8) vaccine in dogs co-infected with CIV and Streptococcus equi zooepidemicus. Presentation at the TNAVC 2011 January 18.
- Crawford PC. Canine influenza: epidemiology, clinical disease, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. International Society for Companion Animal Infectious Diseases Website. Available at: http://www.iscaid.org/assets/content/documents/Crawford_Influenza_Review_July09.pdf. Published July 2009. Accessed August 10, 2009.
- Crawford C, Spindel M. Canine influenza. In: Miller L, Hurley K, eds. Infectious Disease Management in Animal Shelters. Ames, IA: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009:173-180.
- Canine influenza. The Center for Food Security & Public Health. College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University. Available at: http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/canine_influenza.pdf. Updated January 13, 2009. Accessed May 7, 2009.
- Beeler E. Influenza in dogs and cats. Vet Clin Small Anim. 2009;39:251-264.
- Crawford PC, Dubovi EJ, Castleman WL, et al. Transmission of equine influenza virus to dogs. Science. 2005;310:482-485.
- Dubovi EJ, Njaa BL. Canine influenza. Vet Clin Small Anim. 2008;38:827-835.
- Payungporn S, Crawford PC, Kouo TS, Chen L, Pompey J, Castleman WL, Dubovi EJ, Katz JM, Donis RO. Influenza A virus (H3N8) in dogs with respiratory disease, Florida. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14(6):902-908.
- Canine influenza update. UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program Website. Available at: http://www.sheltermedicine.com/shelter-health-portal/information-sheets/canine-influenza. Accessed May 7, 2009.
- Control of canine influenza in dogs-questions, answers, and interim guidelines. AVMA Website. Available at: http://www.avma.org/public_health/influenza/canine_guidelines.asp. Updated December 1, 2005. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- AVMA policy. Canine influenza virus vaccine need. AVMA Website. Available at: http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/canine_influenza.asp. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- Rezendes A. Influenza continues to affect dogs. AVMA Website. Available at: http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/sep08/080901s.asp. Published September 1, 2008. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- Key facts about canine influenza (dog flu). CDC Website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine. Accessed May 7, 2009.
- Canine influenza virus. NYS Animal Health Diagnostic Center at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Website. Available at: http://diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/issues/civ.asp. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- Test summary for canine influenza virus in dogs not affiliated with Greyhound racetracks. NYS Animal Health Diagnostic Center at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Website. Available at: http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/news/civ.cfm. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- Cynda Crawford, DVM, PhD. Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida Website. Available at: http://www.ufsheltermedicine.com/meetTeam_Crawford.html. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- Canine influenza-background for professionals. AAHA Website. Available at: http://secure.aahanet.org/eweb/dynamicpage.aspx?site=resources&webcode=CI_backgroundprof. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- Hurley KF. Canine influenza: now what? Available at: http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/magazine_articles/may_jun_2006/canine_influenza_now_what.html. Published May-June 2006. Accessed June 5, 2009.
- Canine flu: signs and symptoms. The Doctor's Channel Website. Available at: http://www.thedoctorschannel.com/video924.html?Specialty=50. Accessed June 5, 2009.