- Tip Sheets for Pet Owners >
- All About CIV >
- Management of an Outbreak >
- Learn more about the ‘Take Aways’ of the outbreak in Chicago >
- Official statement from Merck Animal Health >
- Read the outbreak FAQs >
Read about CIV in the news:
- Steve Dale’s Pet World >
- Cornell Infographic >
- Cornell Map >
Frequently Asked Questions
Pet Owner Brochure
- Kang et al., H3N2 Canine Influenza Virus Causes Severe Morbidity in Dogs with Induction of Genes Related to Inflammation and Apoptosis, Veterinary Research 2013,44:92.
- Deshpande MS, Abdelmagid O, Tubbs A, Jayappa H, Wasmoen T. Experimental reproduction of canine influenza virus H3N8 infection in young puppies. Vet Ther. 2009;10(1-2):29-39.
- Deshpande MS, Jirjis FF, Tubbs AL, Jayappa H, Sweeney D, Spencer SJ, Lakshmanan N, Wasmoen TL. Evaluation of the efficacy of a canine influenza virus (H3N8) vaccine in dogs following experimental challenge. Vet Ther. 2009;10(3):103-112.
- Jirjis F, Deshpande M, Tubbs A, Jayappa H, Lakshmanan N, Wasmoen T. Transmission of canine influenza virus (H3N8) among susceptible dogs. Vet Microbiol. 2010;144(3-4):303-309. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2010.02.029
- Holt David E, Moyer Michael R., Cimino Brown Dorothy, Serologic prevalence of antibodies against canine influenza virus (H3N8) in dogs in a metropolitan animal shelter. JAVMA. 2010;1:71-73.
- Dubovi, EJ. Canine Influenza. Vet Clin North Am Small Animal Practice 2010;40(6):1063-1071.
- Barrell EA, Pecoraro HL, Torres-Henderson C, Morley PS, Lunn KF, Landolt GA. Seroprevalence and risk factors for canine H3N8 influenza virus exposure in household dogs in Colorado, J Vet Intern Med. 2010 Nov- Dec;24(6):1524-7.
- Rivallier P, Perry IA, Jang Y, Davis CT, Chen LM, Dubovi EJ, Donis R. Evolution of canine and equine influenza (H3N8) viruses co-circulating between 2005 and 2008. Virology. 2010;408:71-79.
- Larson LJ, Henningson J, Sharp P, et al. Efficacy of the canine influenza virus (H3N8) vaccine to decrease severity of clinical disease after co-challenge with canine influenza virus and Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, April 2011, pp 559-564.
- Henningson J, Larson L, Pinkerton M, et al. Efficacy of canine influenza virus (H3N8) vaccine to reduce pulmonary lesions after co-challenge with canine influenza virus and Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus. J Vet Sci Med Diagn 2013, 2:2.
- Kapil S. Canine Influenza A (H3N8) One of the Major Pathogens detected in cases of canine infectious respiratory complex in the USA (2009-2010), Poster presented at the Cell Symposia: Influenza, Washington DC, Dec 2-4, 2010
- Crawford C, Spindel M. Canine influenza. In: Miller L, Hurley K, eds. Infectious Disease Management in Animal Shelters. Ames, IA: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009:173-180.
- Canine influenza. The Center for Food Security & Public Health. College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University. Available at: http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/canine_influenza.pdf. Updated January 13, 2009. Accessed May 7, 2009.
- Beeler E. Influenza in dogs and cats. Vet Clin Small Anim. 2009;39:251-264.
- Crawford PC, Dubovi EJ, Castleman WL, et al. Transmission of equine influenza virus to dogs. Science. 2005;310:482-485.
- Dubovi EJ, Njaa BL. Canine influenza. Vet Clin Small Anim. 2008;38:827-835.
- Payungporn S, Crawford PC, Kouo TS, Chen L, Pompey J, Castleman WL, Dubovi EJ, Katz JM, Donis RO. Influenza A virus (H3N8) in dogs with respiratory disease, Florida. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14(6):902-908.
- Information Sheet: Canine influenza, Updated July 2015. UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program Website. Available at: http://www.sheltermedicine.com/library/canine-influenza. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Canine influenza FAQs:questions, answers, and interim guidelines. AVMA Website. Available at: hhttps://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/Control-of-Canine-Influenza-in-Dogs.aspx. Accessed December 9. 2015.
- Key facts about canine influenza (dog flu). CDC Website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine. Accessed December 9. 2015.
- Canine influenza virus. Updated October 15, 2015. NYS Animal Health Diagnostic Center at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Website. Available at: https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/news/civchicago.cfm. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Test summary for canine influenza virus in dogs not affiliated with Greyhound racetracks. NYS Animal Health Diagnostic Center at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Website. Available at: http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/news/civ.cfm. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Cynda Crawford, DVM, PhD. Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida Website. Available at: http://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Canine influenza backgrounder AAHA Website. Available at: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/Pages/Canine-Influenza-Backgrounder.aspx. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Hurley KF. Canine influenza: now what? Available at: http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/magazine_articles/may_jun_2006/canine_influenza_now_what.html. Published May-June 2006. Accessed June 5, 2009.